Tuesday, November 8, 2011

This Week's River Pictures




Missouri River bluff
I was looking for something a little grander this particular morning.  The corn had been harvested a couple days prior so I could see past this field a little better.  This is about as normal as a foggy morning can be.  It's overcast and gray.  The fog is only following atop the river.  What was interesting to me was that the only thing visible to break up the river fog from the overcast clouds was the bluff on the opposite side of the Missouri River.  The bluff top looks like some sort of floating island in the clouds.  Just another way the fog can fragment the landscape.

aquatic puddle

Living along the river bottom is interesting because the landscape changes.  I guess it changes everywhere, especially with the seasons.  This is neat though.  In the middle of the soybeans this year there was enough water puddled to grow aquatic plants, which brought frogs, great blue heron, and other wildlife.  Check out this link to see the heron and make sure to play the voice feed and hear what this beautiful bird sounds like.  I thought is sounded similar to the toads/frogs. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Great_Blue_Heron/id
rural scene, red barn

This barn is looking a lot like this field, well used and patched up.  To me it has become part of the landscape.  I guess anything added to a landscape becomes part of it, even a coke can or a gum wrapper. Rural scenes always included red barns, white picket fences, and winding gravel roads.  This run down, well-used, rural scene reminds me more of the photographs I've seen from the Great Depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment